The Femtec Career-Building Programme
Female talent is indispensable for business and science. To support talented female students with a background in STEM (= science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) in their personal career development and connecting them to each other Femtec.GmbH was founded in 2001 by the European Academy for Women in Politics and Business (EAF) and Technische Universität Berlin. Since 2007, the KIT is an official partner in the Femtec.Network. In this nationwide consortium, large internationally active companies and eight renowned technical universities have joined together to promote interest in engineering and the sciences among young women, and to improve their prospects of entering into technical professions as well as their prospects for advancement in those fields.
The English-taught Femtec.Career-Building Programme specifically prepares female STEM-students for entry into their respective professions. It also prepares them to take over managerial tasks, and creates a network of colleagues that spans various disciplines and various universities. The Femtec Career-Building Programme has three main focuses:
- Career Development
- Innovation and Co-creation
- Building Networks
If you take part in the Career-Building Programme, you will join an ever-expanding network with other STEM-students from all over Germany and Switzerland and Femtec Alumnae, who work all over the world. You will receive exclusive contacts to exciting companies, universities and research institutes, get to know different workplaces and business cultures. The Programme focuses on female STEM-students in their master studies (about 1.5 years before graduation). Each Semester up to 50 scholarships will be awarded in total. The application process starts each autumn and spring. Over 170 KIT students are already active in the Femtec.Network.
Informational Online Event in SoSe 2021
Wednesday, 28.04.2021, 5:45 p.m.
Webmeeting via Zoom
Further information and registration
Application for Course 40 in SoSe 2021
12th April – 16th May 2021
Online Assesment Center for KIT-Students
Wednesday, 23rd June 2021 (full-day)
Programme Duration Course 40
September 2021 bis September 2022
Femtec was founded as a GmbH (limited liability company) in 2001 by the partners European Academy for Women in Politics and Business (EAF) and Technische Universität Berlin. The Femtec.Network is a unique consortium which consists of excellent partners in business and science as well as talented STEM-students, graduates and the Femtec.Alumnae Association. Alongside KIT, seven other leading Universities of Technology and 13 renowned companies work together in the Femtec.Network – linked in view of shared goals: to attract women for specialist and management positions in business and sciences in order to foster diversity in both spheres.
The Femtec Careerbuilding Programme specifically prepares top female STEM students for entry into their respective professions. While taking your university courses, the Career-Building Programme teaches you crucial skills for your future career. The English-taught Programme is designed for a duration of one year and starts each March and September. It focuses on three main fields:
- Career Development: Career-building / self-confidence & assertiveness / leading myself and others
- Innovation and Co-creation: Innovation labs (with partner companies) / Creativity
- Building Networks: Building sustainable networks / Meet the partners / Network Experience Tour
In three “Schools”, which build upon one another, it offers you intensive career training courses that help you shape your talents, inspiring discussions about career-relevant topics with other STEM-students as well as professionals from different positions and companies. You will learn about current leadership concepts and new approaches to deal with complex challenges and be part of an innovation project, in which you will work together with partners from industry, research and science to develop pioneering solutions for tomorrow’s challenges.
ECTS-Credits and Accumulation
After successfully completing the program, scholarship holders will be awarded a certificate and a diploma supplement, which entitling them up to 16 credit points. The whole scholarship aka the Career-Building Programme in total comprises 400 hours of workload, about 128 hours of them in workshops and tutorials in attendance.
The career-building program has been accredited by the FIBAA (Foundation of International Business Administration Accreditation) since December 2016. Femtec scholarship holders can accumulate their credits partially towards their master programme at KIT. In some master programmes, e.g. Industrial Engineering, you can accumulate credits of the innovation lab towards certain modules (as equivalent). If you are interested in adding your credits to your Transcript of Records, please contact the responsible office in your department for further advice. As for accumulate credits towards multidisciplinary key qualifications skills (SQ / überfachliche Qualifikationen), please contact your Femtec coordinator at KIT. She will either hand you a certificate or ZAK will enter your ECTS credits directly into the online system. Finally, you have to contact the Students Services Office in order to add these credits to your Transcript of Records.
As a scholarship holder of the Femtec.Career-Building Programme you can participate at all schools and on excursions and have individual career advice from the Femtec Network free of charge, and you only need to pay the costs for traveling and accommodation. All schools take place in Berlin together with all other scholarship holders from the partner universities.* Accomodation during excursions will be organized and paid by Femtec itself.
As a scholarship holder from the KIT, you can apply for a grant to contribute towards travel expenses, which currently covers 80 % of the total costs up to a maximum of 200 €.
The scholarship is not to be understood as financial support towards the cost of your studies!
*Because of COVID-19-Pandemic all schools are organised online.
Application and Assessment
The application and selection process is divided into two steps:
- Written online application with a short video pitch (max. 100 seconds), in which you present yourself and your motivation for joining the Femtec.Network and the Career-Building Programme.
- After successful pre-selection you will be invited to an assessment centre (AC) in Karlsruhe. Here you will spend a whole day carrying out various exercises, in which you will be assessed by a number of observers from your university and various partner companies from the Femtec.Network. They will make a joint decision on whether you have passed or not. You will be informed about the result no later than the following day, and you can ask to be given more detailed feedback about your performance and results in the different exercises.
Both online application and assessment centre are in English.
Please click here for detailed information on the online application and video pitch.
Before you apply, please first check whether you meet the application criteria and have time to attend the school dates and your respective assessment center Karlsruhe (see Current Information). Here you can find the current school dates.
Requirements for a successful application:
- You are a master student in STEM-subjects at KIT or another Femtec partner university (study phase 1st and 2nd semester). Please note: The Femtec Career-Building Programme is aimed exclusively at women from the fields of computer science, engineering and natural sciences.
- You must be enrolled at university for at least another year to ensure that you can successfully complete the programme during your studies.
- You have at least B2 level English according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Please note: The language of instruction of the schools is English, therefore sufficient English language skills are absolutely necessary. A good command of German is also necessary.
- You can ensure to attend the assessment center and the schools.
The Femtec Career-Building Programme is right for you if:
- You would like to systematically plan your transition into a career or your career itself and you would like to improve key competences.
- You are looking to exchange ideas with promising female students from the STEM area.
- You are highly motivated, committed and willing to perform and you are pursuing a responsible position.
- You are solution and team oriented, you want to take on responsibility and shape the future.
- You want to contribute your talents and ideas to a renowned network.
The Femtec.Alumnae e.V. (short: FTA) is a network of and for scientists, engineers and experts from the STEM field. The association was founded in 2008 by graduates of the Femtec Career-Building Programme. Since then it has grown into a strong network of more than 700 women. Its main aim is to boost the career prospects of women – especially in technical or scientific fields – and to achieve a better work-life balance for both women and men. The professional development of the members is supported by seminars and workshops. The association also offers the opportunity for exchange and networking – throughout Germany and worldwide – and holds regular meetings at the headquarters of each regional group.
The Karlsruhe meetings are attended by active Femtec scholarship holders of KIT and Femtec members from other partner universities, who are currently doing an internship or writing their master thesis in Karlsruhe, as well as Femtec Alumnae who have already start their careers at companies in the region. As a graduate / Alumnae of the Career-Building Programme you automatically get the chance to become a member of the Alumnae Association. As early as you start the Career-Building Programme you can join the regular meetings and by this means benefit from an in-depth exchange of experiences with other students and professionals.
The Karlsruhe group usually meets at the 10th of each month. Those who are interested in getting an invite can get in touch with the leaders of the regional group. Here you can see an overview of all regional groups and contacts.
For further information on the Femtec.Alumnae e.V., visit www.femtec-alumnae.org
Documents & Media
Here you can download informational documents and get audio-visual impressions of the Career-Building Programme.
Short insight into the Career-Building Programme (from class 38)
FAQs for applicants and interested students (Effective: February 2021)
Admission and Examination Regulation (from class 38) (Effective: August 2020)
„Von starken Frauen für starke Frauen“
Beitrag im Online-Magazin clicKIT vom 3. September 2020
Weiterbildung und Stipendien
Live-Sendung im Campusradio Karlsruhe zu den Förderprogrammen Bronnbacher Stipendium, Femtec.Careerbuilding und KompetenzKompass vom 4. Oktober 2017
Beitrag bei Radio KIT am 19. Juli 2012
For more information on Femtec, see: https://www.femtec.org/