|Reflections on Contemporary South Africa (talk in English language)
Dramatist Mike van Graan will be giving a talk on the South African perspective on Germany and social developments in his home country on Tuesday, 15 November 2016 at 6 pm.
The Critical Stage. Young Voices on Crucial Topics
Amir Heinitz and Marian Reda, flatmates in Cairo during the Egyptian Revolution, contribute e-mail excerpts to the online publication of the ZAK.
In the winter semester 2016/17, the ZAK is launching a new event series in cooperation with the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung. The series will be kicked off on Monday, 7 November 2016 at 6 pm with a discussion on “Digitalisation: Download Culture and Its Consequences”. Guests from the fields of science and business will be debating both in a panel session and with the audience.
In the winter semester 2016/17, in the framework of International Forum, Prof. Dr. Gilles Kepel will be speaking about the topic of his new book “Terreur dans l'Hexagone”. His lecture about terror in France is taking place on Thursday, 27 October 2016 at 6pm.
Prof. Dr. Julia Angster will be opening the Colloquium Fundamentale “New Nationalisms – Consequence of a Globalised World?” in the Redtenbacher lecture hall on Thursday, 20 October 2016 at 6 pm. She will be speaking about Brexit and nationalism in Europe.
Watch out for the latest events of KIT Symphony Orchestra, KIT Choir, Bigband and other tremendous ensembles as well as current information about what is going on in Public Science by visiting our event calendar.
A Concise Profile
The ZAK | Centre for Cultural and General Studies aims at interdisciplinarity. It contributes to communicate between the sciences and the humanities and mediates between science and society by means of specific projects on the basis of the university’s concept of structure and development.
Tasks and Goals:
- Promoting interdisciplinary teaching at the university and the dissemination of knowledge following the tradition of the Liberal Arts
- Facilitating student education in career-relevant key qualifications
- Developing and offering innovative teaching and learning modules for interdisciplinary education
- Intensifying the dialogue between different academics in the area of social impact and cultural change
- Developing and organizing events intending to intensify the exchange between science and society
- Researching framework requirements and megatrends in the range of competence acquirement from the perspective of cultural studies