The Femtec Career-Building Programme
Women are successful engineers. Women are Nobel Prize winners in the natural sciences. Women fly into space as astronauts. Female talent is indispensable for business and science. Femtec GmbH was founded in 2001 by EAF Berlin and the Berlin Institute of Technology with the aim of connecting female STEM students in business and science and supporting them in their personal career development.
As of July 2007, the KIT is an official partner in the Femtec Network. In this nationwide consortium, eleven large internationally active companies and eight renowned technical universities have joined together to promote interest in engineering and the sciences among young women, and to improve their prospects of entering into technical professions as well as their prospects for advancement in those fields.
The Femtec Careerbuilding Programme specifically prepares top female students from the above-mentioned disciplines for entry into their respective professions. It also prepares them to take over managerial tasks, and creates a network of colleagues that spans various disciplines and various universities. In addition to the core course of study, other required skills as well as transdisciplinary economic know-how will be taught through tiered workshops and training sessions. Over 100 KIT students are already active in the Femtec Network.
Empower. Connect. Inspire.
What the programme offers
- excursions and company contacts,
- training and workshops on communication, leadership and management skills,
- placements for an internship or final thesis,
- career consulting, coaching and mentoring, as well as
- the possibility to exchange ideas in a nationwide network of female technology enthusiasts.
In three Schools, which build upon one another, you can learn essential skills for your management career while still studying.
The Femtec Career-Building Programme has three main focuses.
- Career development: Career-building / self-confidence & assertiveness / leading myself and others
- Innovation and co-creation: Innovation labs (with partner companies) / Creativity
- Building networks: Building sustainable networks / Meet the partners / Network Experience Tour
Requirements for a successful application
- The Femtec Careerbuilding programme is aimed exclusively at women from the fields of computer science, engineering and natural sciences.
- You must be enrolled at KIT or another Femtec partner university for at least another year to ensure that you can successfully complete the programme during your studies.
- The language of instruction of the Schools is English, therefore sufficient English language skills are absolutely necessary. A good command of German is also necessary.
- The place of instruction is Berlin. All three Schools must be completed by the participants. Travel and accommodation costs are borne by the participants themselves. These costs can often be reimbursed/subsidised by the faculties.
- Study phase: Master programmes: 1st and 2nd semester; Diplom programmes: 5th to 8th semester
The Femtec Careerbuilding programme is right for you if:
- You would like to systematically plan your transition into a career or your career itself and you would like to improve key competences.
- You are looking to exchange ideas with promising female students from the STEM area.
- You are highly motivated, committed and willing to perform and you are pursuing a leadership position.
- You are solution and team oriented, you want to take on responsibility and shape the future.
- You want to contribute your talents and ideas to a renowned network.
- You have a knowledge of English at level B2.
For more information on Femtec, see: http://www.femtec.org/